Need suggestions: very start of a stack revision system.

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:43:59 EDT 2012

I've just started work on what I hope will be a useful plugin, but I tend
to get lost in the details and add to that, my design skills are
non-existant.

Currently the stack will
Insert its script into front -- to catch open and close stack messages (it
will remove itself when the stack is closed)
at which point it catches open stack messages to trigger an update of the
openstacks list
watches for close stack, same reason

if an open stack is selected in the list of mainstacks (only mains are
listed) when the backitup button is clicked, the stack and all its
substacks are copied into an array. (not the files, the stacks in memory)
When processing is complete, the array is saved to a property.

At this point the "backed up stacks" field is updated.

To open a backed up stack, click it, click recoverit and the array is
loaded, parsed for the correct entry, the stacks are opened and mainstack
substack relationships are reset based on the name of the mainstack that
was recovered. (This is necessary because if there is already a stack with
the same name in memory it pops in as "copy of...", as well as the fact
that for this to work the stacks cannot have substacks.

So far there is no versioning, just the stack backup.  Also, things will be
shifted to a database for storage. Plus of course my code is ooogly.

One thing I considered is forcing a stack name change if the name is still
Untitled, but took it out not wanting to force things on people.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, design tips, criticism (so I have an excuse
to cry in my beer).

The stack can be found here.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11957935/mdbRevisionPlugin.livecode