Message path weirdness - Mac v. Windows

Bruce Pokras bruceap at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 11:03:15 EDT 2012

Here is the setup:

Btn on cd 1 sends message to btn on cd 2 in order to use its script. Btn on cd 2 uses a command in the cd 2 script that calls a stack function called patno().

Originally patno() was in the cd 1 script, but I later copied it to the stack script so it could be used by the cd 2 command. However, I forgot to go back and delete patno() from the cd 1 script. Later I updated patno() in the stack script to keep it current with an Internet resource that it queried. Unknown to me, the patno() in the cd 1 script was now obsolete.

On a Mac where I develop, everything worked fine. The btn on cd 2 called the command on cd 2 that then used patno() from the stack script.

When I tried the standalone on a Windows PC I kept getting errors. The patno() function could not find the Internet resource! It kept trying to use an obsolete URL! I eventually discovered the old version of patno() in the cd 1 script and deleted it. Now everything runs fine on both Mac and Windows.

So why on Windows (but not on the Mac) would the cd 2 script find the cd 1 version of patno() rather than the stack script version? This is on LiveCode 4.6.1 if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Bruce Pokras