the target

Mark Smith Mark_Smith at cpe.umanitoba.ca
Sat Sep 15 19:09:57 EDT 2012

I have a question about "the target"

According to the docs "Returns the object which received the message that
started execution."

And "Use the target function within a message handler to determine which
object originally received the message."

So why, when I do the following, does it return "card "destination"" as the
target and not "button "source"" ?

1. Create a new mainstack, call it mainstack
2. Add a button, call it source
3. add script to source: on mouse up
go stack test
4. add a substack, call it test
5. name the card destination
6. Add a script to the card:
on opencard
put return & the target after msg

6. Add a button, call it close
7. Add the following script:
on mouseup
close this stack

Click on the Source button. It does not report btn "source" as the target.
Instead it
reports card "destination" as the target? It would seem to me that the
object that received the message that started execution was the button? I
don't see how the card gets in there as a target at all.

Thanks

PS also, I presume the docs have some kind of error in them? I tried
targettarget() but the compiler flags it as an error

Best,

-- Mark