Skanky ways to play MP3 on Windows XP

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Sep 13 15:41:52 EDT 2012

I'm having trouble using the player object on Windows XP to play audio.  MP3
files play in the Windows Media Player; WAV files play in LiveCode if I import
them as audioclips.  (MP3 files of course have never worked as imported
audioclips.).  But using the player object, on either WAV or MP3 files, fails.
(I have set dontUseQT to true.)  I'm pursuing this with RunRev support, but
I'm running out of time.

Are there any skanky ways, using shell commands or similar, to play MP3 files
on Windows?

Alternative question: are there any compressed formats that work with
audioclips?  I don't mind that the audioclip is uncompressed, because I can
import them on the fly, play the audioclip, then delete it; but I am likely to
run out of disk space (it's all on compact flash) if I have to have all the
audio as uncompressed WAV.

TIA,

Ben