[OT] EULA and legality

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:12:41 EDT 2012

On 09/12/2012 04:44 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 08:24 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> There are other questions we can answer for ourselves, like:
>>
>> Do we want to enter into a relationship with a vendor who has already
>> clearly expressed in writing that they don't want us?
>>
>> Forcing someone into a relationship just makes for an unhealthy
>> relationship.
>>
>> There are other fish in the sea.
>>
>> Choose one.  Be happy.
>>
>> --
>>   Richard Gaskin
>

> Indeed! Instead of "can I get away with this" maybe ask "why bother".
> I'm sure my negative interpretation of many of Apple's policies and
> decisions over the years is a sign of some grave personality disorder,
> but what I viewed as demonstrations of coercion and manipulation

When is a EULA to be viewed as an attempt at manipulation and coercion
rather than just a statement
of the vendor's feelings about how far they are prepared to extend their
support for their product.

The other day I was pruning fruit trees in our garden in our country
villa here in Bulgaria,
using a ladder I bought (logically enough) in a B & Q store in Dundee,
Scotland. I noticed there was
a sticker attached to it that said "not recommended for people over 90
kilos"; this was rather funny
insofar as I weigh 93 kilos (and have done for years). Presumably if the
ladder were to buckle under
me the makers would, quite rightly, say "you were warned, hard cheese,
you won't get a red penny
out of us". What they have done is set limits on how far they are
prepared to fork out if the ladder
breaks, what they have NOT done is stated that heavy numbers like me are
not allowed to use the
thing; at my own risk of course. Now that seems reasonable.

A sticker on my ladder saying "Fatties like you (90 kilos and over)
cannot use this thing, and this is part
of a EULA" seems quite unreasonable.

> helped make it easy to move away from OS X as it became necessary to
> move from PPC to Intel. It was my decision to have no part of it.
>
> When the questions don't seem to have good answers it's often because
> you're not asking good questions ;)

Who has been overdoing the Ludwig Wittgenstein a bit?