Morality, Honesty and Legality

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 15:56:37 EDT 2012

Richard, where I would differ is in the view that there are two choices:  use
and agree, or use something else.  It may be that there are sound ethical
reasons for simply not accepting the wishes of the creator or owner.

I think this is true of the requirement to only run OSX on Mac hardware, and
I think its also true of the requirement to not install some versions of
Windows into a VM.  The reason is, I think post sales restrictions on use
are ethically wrong.  So I think one should not comply with them.

I have no interest whatever in OSX or indeed Apple products in general.  Its
a company I strongly disapprove of and would not buy from.  But I think its
ethically perfectly fine to buy a copy of OSX and run it on the machine of
ones choice.  Complying with copyright law etc, of course.  But not being
bound by mere preferences expressed by the owner as to how it shall be used.

Do you think that if Sony wants you only to use Sony CDs or DVD media in
their machines, that should weigh with you at all in choosing media
suppliers?  Or if MS would like you to only use their keyboards with
Windows?  Or if Apple would prefer you only to use their keyboards on their
machines?  I do not.  I think its the same thing.

Peter