[OT] EULA and legality

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Tue Sep 11 07:56:07 EDT 2012

In this age of digital perfection, legislation as well as digital coding
are applied to personal, private use copies of over-the-air music or media.
 Certain devices which are authorized for making personal, non-commercial
copies have already included royalties in the device cost, which goes
directly to the recording industry, according to what I read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Home_Recording_Act

Regarding your comment "and it was dishonest back then", yes it was
dishonest to make bootleg CDs and profit from selling them.  That has not
changed.  A personal one-off copy from over-the-air which may include the
ending of a commercial, or the radio station host talking through the
beginning of a song; it's not a copy worth paying for, but it does offer
the listener a chance to replay it and decide if they wish to purchase it
later.

I won't even entertain a response to your "these are the kind of people"
remark.  People would definitely pay $200+ for a good OS, even when a
$19.99 version exists for Apple hardware owners.  It is the same as a
business paying for the higher priced LiveCode membership even though less
expensive options exist.  The user just needs to understand why the price
is different and what is or is not included.

For those who want to build a custom mac and use OS X, today the only
option is "without support" from Apple, and that's ok because in some ways,
the community support is better.

~Roger