[OT] EULA and legality

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 9 12:49:30 EDT 2012

Colin Holgate wrote:

 > I actually don't mind the fact that Apple runs itself as if it was
 > a business.

As a shareholder I rather like it.

As a customer I use the dividends to shop at NewEgg and build my own
systems. ;)

Of course I honor the Apple EULA, so the more I learn about hardware and
enjoy choosing it myself, I heed Apple's guidance to use Ubuntu.

 > About the $20 to upgrade to Mountain Lion, I suspect that doesn't
 > fully pay for the development of OSX, and that's with Apple just
 > having to support a handful of computers. Imaging their costs if
 > they had to support every conceivable PC configuration.

I think more the former than the latter.  Support queues could be
filtered by requiring a valid Mac serial number, just as they've always
done to determine if the caller is still eligible for support.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World