Re: Tied up in Layers …..

Klaus on-rev klaus at major.on-rev.com
Sat Sep 8 12:40:36 EDT 2012

Hi Francis,

Am 08.09.2012 um 18:26 schrieb Francis Nugent Dixon <effendi at wanadoo.fr>:

> Hi from Beautiful Brittany,
>
> I'v written a stack with many phases of execution,
> and have literally dozens of fields and buttons on
> layers assigned by LiveCode when created.
>
> Some of these objects are "shown" when they should
> be "invisible" behind objects on a higher layer.
> Others are "hidden" when they should be "visible"
> in front of objects on a lower layer.
>
> I hope I make myself clear……..
>
> Instead of manually shifting all these objects to
> suitable layers, and driving myself bonkers in the
> process, I have two questions :
>
> 1 - Can I list the current layer of all objects in
>    my card, with a script ?

Yes!

repeat with i = 1 to the num of controls ## of cd x of stack y
  put the name of control i & TAB & the layer of control i & CR After tLayerList
end repeat
delete char -1 of tLayerList
## do something with tLayerList :-)
## field "name of field" TAB 1
## button "othe button" TAB 2
## etc...

Beware of DataGrids! :-D

> 2 - Can I then set the layers of the objects by a
>    script, to put them into layers convenient to
>    me.

Sure you can "set the layer of XXX to YYY", I do this all the time :-)
Of course you need to be careful with objects in groups!

> Documentation SEEMS to specify that I can "Get" a
> layer number for an object, but can't "Set" it.

SHOULD work!

> Any solutions ?
>
> -Francis

Best