an ignored breakpoint

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue Sep 4 12:14:29 EDT 2012

I'm surprised by the number of problems people are reporting with the
debugger.  Not to say I've never had any but they are now few and far
between.  The one thing I do see consistently is ignoring a red dot
breakpoint in preOpenCard.  Most of the time a hard coded breakpoint works,
but not always.

A good number of the other weirdnesses I've seen have turned out to be
indications of problems in my code.  The mysterious jumping ahead several
lines of code after a breakpoint is now an indication to me that a call to
rev Library routine has a problem of some sort, perhaps an alpha value
where a numeric value is expected or a missing parameter.

I've also learned to avoid setting breakpoints in some message handlers,
notably ones that deal with mouse movement, especially if I'm looking at
the mouseLine or the mouseCharchunk.  I also found recently that setting a
breakpoint in a resizeStack handler froze the IDE, at least until I found I
could use the keyboard equivalents of stepover, step through, etc.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>