Upgrade to Lion

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:17:18 EDT 2012

Peter,

Please accept my apology for the slow reply but my access to this List can
be sporadic.

I'm sure you are more wise than I am in this regard as I've gleaned many
SQL tidbits from your posts to this List.

As for SQLite being ubiquitous on moblie devices, in my own opinion it's
due more to it's price, like mySQL and gmail. If people had to pay $5 a
month for the privilege I think suddenly the numbers would shift. Just
because a billion people do, doesn't mean it's the best.

Why is my phone noticeably slower, after start-up, no apps running, just
basic navigation, even though it's just under 30% full, compared to when it
was new? Is it because the dbs that keep track of all that stuff have grown
considerably in size? Is it because the data output is much larger, instead
of a page of 8 icons, it's now always pages of 16 icons?

I have three particular 3rd party desktop apps that use SQLite; two store
gps data, the third is a home inventory program.

I love the home inventory program, it has a lot of cool features, like
looking up products based on a bar code it sees via my isight camera. But
as I add more and more photos, and the data gets larger and much larger,
the program gets slower and slower. Bad code on behalf of the vendor that
could be tweaked better, probably, but that would be evidence that you can
get it wrong.

Earlier this year I took 130 million data points from the gps database and
fed them into my own SQLite and Valentina dbs. Basically I needed to find
the gradient that represented optimum rate of climb. To do this I needed to
locate all hills, sift out those that where downhill rather than uphill,
remove any instance where drafting was a factor and then seasonally, time
of day, compare to extract trends.

The sql statements were not that complex, just a LOT of toing and froing
between LC and the db. I soon abandoned SQLite as it was clear that
Valentina was getting the answers quicker. SQLite still did an excellent
job, it was just slower.

Maybe it has more to do with the speed LC talks to each db. I used the LC
db commands for SQLite whilst I've migrated across to using API calls for
Valentina.

You are undoubtedly correct that the Mac has used SQLite for years, and I
guess the reason for the major upgrades to iTunes and iPhoto that require
complete rebuilds of the db and no turning back, is because these dbs are
continually being tweaked for performance - and they do a brilliant job.
But it must be easier to update a db when you know exactly what data you
are dealing with is, ie as cameras have grown from 5 megapixel to 20
megapixel, and added gps position.

But what about Spotlight where the data is presented in a unknown vast
assortment? I can do a search on 'Borrower' and 'Latitude', because
Spotlight can look into the home inventory and gps dbs. How could Apple
possibly have known that such fields would be added and whether the field
would hold a constant 2 chars or 0-2K chars or a blob of binary. As far as
I know there is limit of 62 dbs which SQLite can attach to. How close is
Spotlight to reaching that limit, I've no clue, but Versions has just added
one more, and as anything approaches it limit, it slows.

As for Industrial Strength I'd go with 10s of millions of records and
Terabytes of data.

My desktop Mac has 9TB of internal storage running at 60% and 8TB of
external, mainly for backups. When Spotlight chokes (even pre Lion) I
assume they didn't envisage it would be indexing 10s of millions of Lats,
Longs & Altitudes hidden amongst Terabytes of data.

In Lion the number of dbs has increased, the data Versions deals with is
unknown, and and what with Auto Save and Versions, Spotlight is being
triggered to index more often. Also the definition of the Mac users seems
to have narrowed. I think many on this List use their Macs in vastly
different ways than the average Mac user, maybe outside the optimum way the
various dbs have been set up to track their every move and keep them within
the walls. It wont be the No1 factor, but I feel it is a factor.

But I'm often wrong. And I see why, once all these dbs are set-up, indexed
and connected, there should be very neglible processing required to just
keep updating the data. Yet why, on my wife's Lion machine (I don't run
Lion yet) which has been set up since Christmas, have I been prevented, on
a couple of occassions now, from using Spotlight because it's in the middle
of Indexing*** - is it some kind of catch22, the system will be fully
responsive once Indexing stops, but it keeps indexing because Version keeps
changing things.

*** Oh and I've just discovered another change to Lion to add to the
catch-22. Previous to Lion, setting up a TimeMachine HD would automatically
exclude it from Spotlight Indexing. In Lion that doesn't happen, and if you
try to exculde the HD you are met with a dialog that tells you that
Spotlight will CONTINUE to Index your backups, but anything else on the
disk (which Apple recommends you don't do) will not be. So now Spotlight
Indexes when Lion Auto Saves, Versions Saves, TimeMachine back-ups + any
User induced Saves. Previously it was only during user induced saves.

I'm assured that Linux is a zippier resource dieted OS. Does it have a
variety of SQLite dbs, all interconnected, and keeping track of your every
move? Granted, OS X's iCandy is more at fault here.