Outlet for Mac Apps

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue May 29 15:08:50 EDT 2012

I think I will give them a whirl, no setup fees and 7% per transaction,
plus a few minutes to set up the app.

I'd also like to pass on an interesting side effect of selling an app on
your own web site and through the Mac App Store.  This applies to
situations where the version on your web site installs in demo mode.  The
Mac App Store on the other hand only sells full production versions and
doesn't permit demo versions.

A problem occurs if your customer purchased through the Mac App Store and
also has a software update product on his/her computer (eg MacUpdater).
 MacUpdater notices there is a new version of your software available and
downloads it from your web site.  Now your Mac App Store customer is
running in demo mode instead of production mode and has no license key to
turn it into a production version.  Lots of angry support calls!

This happens because  programs like Macupdater use your app's bundle id to
identify it and your app has the same bundle id on the Mac App Store and on
your web site. The solution is to use a different bundle id for the version
of your app on the Mac App Store and the version on your web site.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com