Upgrade to Lion

Tim Jones tolistim at me.com
Tue May 29 12:51:52 EDT 2012

On May 29, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> Having got a little used to Lion I then felt better about trying out Mountain Lion. My current setup is that I have 10.8 on my internal SSD, and still have 10.7.4 on the external SSD. I still need that because under 10.8 you can't publish iOS apps, as it's using the prerelease Xcode 3.4. With this setup I am able to run, as an example, Mail, Safari, Xcode, Director, Flash, LiveCode, Parallels, and IE and SketchUp under Parallels, all without any slowing down on my 4GB MacBook Air. I can get by with that!

I still using spinning disk, but I'm also very happy with 10.7 on all of my Intel Macs (still at 10.5.8 on the PPCs for obvious reasons).  My Mac Book Air and 13" MBP both have 4GB and run CS6, FCP X, Logic Pro, LC, Pages/Numbers/Keynote, and my astronomy apps very well.  Of course, I wouldn't try editing a 2 hour feature without adding a big Thunderbolt array, but otherwise, I'm not witnessing slowdowns or crashes.

One tip - turn off Spotlight.  I've found that the mdimport daemon spikes - even on my Mac Pros - every time I save a file in LC or one of the NLE apps.

I connected a pair of 64GB SDXC cards from the Indy this morning and my 8 Proc, 16GB Mac Pro proceeded to present me with the SPBBOD for almost 5 minutes.  Luckily, I always flip the write-protect switch on the cards when I ingest, so I just yanked the USB cable.

I've now been a very bad boy and removed the metadata entries from the launchd realm and shut that thing down completely.

I DON'T recommend that you do this, but since I use other tools to manage both my code and my footage / clips, it was just another layer of cruft for me.

Oh, and don't get me started on Time Machine (it's also removed)...

Tim