Upgrade to Lion

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon May 28 14:19:54 EDT 2012

On 5/28/12 12:19 PM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
> You have to use the new "duplicate" menu option. some people have
> used the system preferences to make the shift-s command key combo to
> use duplicate.

And you have to remember to duplicate first before changing anything. If
you forget and make changes, you need to go into the Star Wars movie
interface to retrieve your original version.

I intensely hope that RR never implements this "feature." I am willing
to bet that virtually all programmers do not want every bit of buggy
code, tinkering, and temporary experiments auto saved. Apple should give
us a choice.

> There's also a way to disable the "new" save behaviour for most apps,
> you have to use one of those weird apple command lines, but i don't
> have it handy, as i am currently trying out wether i like the new
> way.

I did a whole lot of searching on this because I really wanted to
disable auto-save. Everything I read says there is no way to disable it,
Apple is firmly enforcing the new way of working, destroying 30 years of
entrenched work flow. You can turn off auto-opening documents and
auto-opening apps on login, but auto-save is untouchable.

The Apple forums are full of complaints about it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com