Where Do You Save User Prefs?

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at superstudent.net
Sun May 27 07:30:18 EDT 2012

Thank you for the info, Guglielmo!:

On 27/05/2012, at 7:29 PM, Guglielmo Braguglia wrote:

[...]

> See Table 1-3, paragraph "The Library Directory Stores App-Specific Files", on :http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGUide/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html
>
> *Application Support* :  Use this directory to store all app data files except those associated with the user's documents. For example, you might use this directory to store app-created data files, configuration files, templates, or other fixed or modifiable resources that are managed by the app. An app might use this directory to store a modifiable copy of resources contained initially in the app's bundle. A game might use this directory to store new levels purchased by the user and downloaded from a server.
> All content in this directory should be placed in a custom subdirectory whose name is that of your app's_bundle identifier_ or your company.
> In iOS, the contents of this directory are backed up by iTunes.

[...]

I noticed that Apple seems to recommend, that we use a folder/directory with the *company* name, as well, and inside that have a sub-folder/sub-directory for each application. That seems like a good practice. In that case, the info we have so far is:

1) MacOS X
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("Home") & "/Library/Application Support/MyCompany/MyAppBundleID/" - - Apple requires you to use the application's bundle id for the *folder name*
Prefs Name: anything you wish

2) Windows
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("0x001a") & "/MyApp/"
Prefs Name: anything you wish

3) Linux
Prefs Location: there does not seem to be a 'standard', but several programs seem to take the approach of creating a hidden folder in the user's home directory - specialFolderPath("Home") & "/.myapp/"
Prefs Name: anything you wish

4) iOS
Prefs Location: specialFolderPath("library") & "/MyAppBundleID/" - Apple requires you to use the application's bundle id for the *folder name*
Prefs Name: anything you wish

5) Android
Prefs Location: ???
Prefs Name: ???

Does anyone have any further info or corrections to offer?...

Many thanks in advance

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia