Standalone problem (solved?)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue May 22 12:01:39 EDT 2012

On 5/22/12 8:45 AM, dunbarx at aol.com wrote:

> It seems the external must be explicitly referenced, as verified by
> the authors, and not, in their words, "relatively" referenced.

That might be true when calling the external from a script but I can't
see how it would apply to how LiveCode recognizes it. But okay.

> I solved the problem by creating a folder with a specific name,
> placing the external in that folder, and putting it in my
> "Applications" folder, which is common to all OSX systems. This is
> NOT an "applications" folder found in a user account, but rather the
> default.
>
> In the inspector, I set the external reference to the bundle in that
> specific folder. I now make the standalone, Then I place the
> standalone in that folder as well.

Whatever works is best of course, but I'd rather keep all the parts
together in the app bundle for portability. I'd probably do this:

on startup
  get the effective filename of this stack
  set the itemdel to slash
  put "myExternal.bundle" into last item of it
  set the externals of this stack to it
end startup

After you build the app, move the external into the same location as the
standalone stack/engine (Contents/MacOS/) in the bundle. Don't bother
with the inspector. The startup handler will only fire in your standalone.

I'm not clear whether you need to call the external with a long file
path or if you can just reference it by its short name. I've never heard
of an external that needs to use a long file path, but if it does, then
store the path you created in the startup handler and use that whenever
you need to reference it.

Maybe you already tried all that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com