LiveCode-HyperCard XCMD's

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu May 17 15:52:02 EDT 2012

On 05/17/2012 10:04 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I wonder then, when RunRev is going to shed the whole Backwards Compatibility ball and chain (at least in respects to Hypercard) and consider requested changes that cite that as the reason for not doing so?

"Backwards Compatibility" is, probably, although unspoken, a thing of
the past, as converting a Hypercard stack to a Livecode
stack is, quite frankly, more of a bother than just rewriting the thing
in Livecode.

As most Hypercard stacks were black-and-white and very small indeed by
today's monitor standards, they have to have their whole
GUI stuff rewritten and jazzed up; so the only thing that is left is any
functionality. Where HyperTalk coincides with the Livecode
language (I'm not quite sure what it is called at the moment) jolly
good; but as Livecode is capable of so much more than Hypercard
the whole thing looks a bit silly.

The only things that, as far as I can see, that Livecode now has in
common with Hypercard are:

The stack metaphor,

Object Oriented programming,

Objects having their own scripts and script editors (for sake of
comparison think about Visual Basic 6),

A small subset of HC commands.