[OT] Mac Beach Ball Party (or welcome to hell, here's your mac)

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat May 12 02:38:41 EDT 2012

On 05/11/2012 10:00 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Could I get a recommendation from some of the Mac folks on this list about
> a good 'Cleaner' application?
>
> The last week or so, I've gained a rather persistent 'friend' - the dreaded
> beach ball of death.  All the time. Type a few letters in a browser (Safari
> or Chrome) and then a delay, then the ball for about 30 seconds.
>
> My lovely Mac pro is in hell.   Yes I have a lot of apps, and yes I am
> running Lion.
> And that doesn't help either as it insists on loading every app and
> document I had running the last time*.
> *
> *
> I am probably facing a complete re-install at this point. I had other plans
> this day. Dreams of Snow Leopard abound. I just wanted to use the Cloud to
> sync calendars and address book stuff.
>
> Anyway, I'd like to try a 'cleaner' first, but I don't know anyone that's
> actually used one.
> And it's , um, a kind of a serious app type that could ruin your life if it
> screws up.
>
> the one that's promoted the most is Mac Keeper.
>
> I downloaded it, and executed first run, but did not tell it to do
> anything. I got paranoid after I read some negative about it on the web,
> and it took an hour to uninstall it, as it has no uninstaller that actualy
> works.
>
> here's the complete list of others that I've downloaded but not executed:
>
> Mac Keeper               - the best UI - looks like it could work - about
> $35
> AppCleaner.app         - took an hour to do its survey and didn't warn me
> if it was a paid app or not, so I quit
> CleanMyMac.app       - not tested
> OnyX.app                  - the only free one - ran it but didn't help
> SpeedUpMac.app      -- not tested
>
> Anyone have a recommendation?

Yes; but I don't suppose you will like any of them:

1. Snow Leopard (10.6), or even Leopard (10.5).

2. A Linux distro.

I do get the feeling (and this may be quite wrong as my PPC macMini
isn't all that informative
about Mac OS 10.7) that the Mac OS has gone a bit "sour".

As a long-time fan of the Macintosh (well, since 1993), I do hope that
Apple finds
its way that it seems to have lost of late.

Something has happened in the OS world of late; Mac Lion, Windows 8,
Ubuntu Unity and GNOME 3
that seems to indicate that the people at the top who make the decisions
may have stopped
listening to their user-base quite as attentively as they did in the past.

Every time I turn on my PPC macMini running Mac OS 10.4.11 I am
pleasantly reminded of how really very good indeed
the Mac OS was at that stage (and was slightly better at 10.5). Just as
I feel when I turn on Linux boxes at my school
running GNOME 2, and the VirtualBox 'thing' of Windows XP here on my
Xubuntu 12.04 box.