Hosting Companies: Was Gatekeeper

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 10 17:04:11 EDT 2012

On 5/10/12 3:41 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
> Mark,
>
> To each their own. I still advocate for VPSs...

Agreed. JaguarPC lets us be resellers too, and offers good incentives
for those who care to do it. I could resell any number of accounts if I
wanted to become a full-time IT person. I'd get a pretty good discount
on my own account too if I did that.

The problem with one-man shops is that you don't get the benefit of all
the back-end support and the community, which is huge on Jaguar -- the
forums are active and usually I can get a response to any question
within a few minutes. It's a lot like this list. I know I'll get a
ticket response within a couple of minutes, 24/7, even if it's 3 AM.
Average ticket resolution time, on the rare occasions I've needed it, is
about an hour.

Recently I mentioned on their forums that I was suddenly getting six
times more spam mail then before. Others agreed. Within three days,
Jaguar had contacted Spam Assassin, arranged an update, implemented the
new system on all their servers, and pushed it out to everyone. They
also are large enough to have a lot of pull with the blacklisters, and
their servers don't often get blacklisted -- and if they do, it's
cleared within a few hours. It's stuff like that which makes it
worthwhile to deal with a big, established hosting company directly.

A reseller can do a lot of the work themselves, but if your sub-customer
requires a server change, it has to be run through the original IP
anyway. That introduces another level of support and delay, and for me
it's worth it to just deal directly with the real IP rather than use a
third-party reseller.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com