Breakpoints being ignored

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed May 9 14:58:58 EDT 2012

Actually, Mark Weider has done a lot to make GLX2 stable and better. The current version seems to be working really well. To my knowledge, PowerDebug has never been the source of any issues I have run into, but my memory is really bad so take that with a grain of salt. The issues I have had were also present in the vanilla debugger if I recall. I will go so far as to say that many of the features in the built-in editor and debugger were the result of Jerry's pioneering work in GLX2. PowerDebug is just the GLX2 debugger broken out as a separate plugin (correct me if I am wrong).

I like PowerDebug for a few reasons, not the least of which is a hotkey for step over, into and what have you. I especially like usign the spacebar to step through code. I think their variable inspector is really well done as well. Being able to view the contents of an array has been especially useful to me and is primarily why I even use the LC arrays after becoming so used to numbered key style arrays. I also like the way tabs are managed, and the bread crumbs feature is genius.

The problem of course, with this kind of editor and debugger, as Jerry has pointed out in the past, is that because it is done entirely in LC, the potential for breaking it when new versions of LC come out that make changes to the engine is always a factor. It was so much of an issue that Jerry opted for a different approach with Remo. He stores values of all the variables when he encounters a breakpoint. It takes some getting use to, and I used it for a while, but I personally favor the in-your-face stop executing and holler at me approach to debugging.