acceleratedRendering is my friend

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Wed Jun 27 11:57:40 EDT 2012

After sitting with Mark W. for an hour over lunch yesterday I was able to both understand the role of acceleratedRendering and the best usage of it. It turns out that the order of when these commands are used is of utmost importance. I have been rewriting my code and have an instant increase in responsiveness in my scrolling groups.

In a nut shell:
1. on preopenCard - set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to true (only on cards that ave scrolling or dynamic groups/objects
2. Immediately before moving an object turn on dynamic or when scrolling a group turn on scrolling
once moving the scroll or object has already been cached and drawn so these are no longer necessary. No need to turn these things on and leave them on because they are not needed and the result is that things will actually slow down.
3. Immediately after moving or scrolling an object turn off the scrolling or dynamic settings
4. on closeCard - set the acceleratedRendering of this stack to false (turn it off since it is not needed)

This simple approach seems so obvious now and has immediate results.

The other thing that Ben and Mark showed me was that having large scrolling groups of object is much much much faster than using visual effects and switching cards.

More as I grok this….

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgrath at comcast.net