[OT] Google Chrome Resource Hog?
pete at lcsql.com
Sat Jun 23 16:51:21 CDT 2012
For some time now, I have been noticing massive activity on my wireless
router for a few minutes several times a day. Today I decided it was time
to figure out what's going on.
I started by doing a virus scan which came out clean. This is all on OS X
So I started looking at Activity Monitor. First thing I noticed is that
Google Chrome is using up around 35-40% of my CPU time even when I'm not
doing any browsing. I switched off all the Chrome extensions I have but
the CPU usage stayed at the same level. On the network display, I see
outbound traffic at between 10-20kb/sec and inbound at 0.5-1.5kb/sec. Disk
Activity shows writes around 2mb/sec. This is all with no activity in any
user programs other than me typing this email.
If I quit Chrome, the Disk activity drops to mostly zero with the
occasional blip of a few bytes, There's nothing using the CPU more than 6%
(interestingly, that's Livecode), and the network activity drops to zero
unless I actually access the web with, e.g., Safari.
I've deleted Chrome, downloaded a new version and installed it but still
get the same issue.
Obviously, I've stopped using Chrome for now but I'm curious if any others
are experiencing similar issues with Chrome.
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
More information about the use-livecode