Linux: answer file always shows hidden files?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jun 21 15:01:10 EDT 2012

Richard Gaskin <ambassador at ...> writes:

> If any of you are using Linux it would be helpful to know which distro
> and version, which desktop environment, and whether using the "answer
> file" command shows hidden files in its listing.

After caffeine, I realize that the answer file dialog does indeed invoke the
File Manager, and so you're quite correct in that the File Manager preferences
should be respected. It is working as designed on Fedora 16/xfce spin, where the
hidden files are not shown if I disable them from the File Manager. Getting "the
files" does give the entire list, including the hidden files. So it appears that
Ubuntu is at fault here.

--
 Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net