What about image file names with a space -- will that be a problem later?

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Jun 21 13:03:35 EDT 2012

Mark Rauterkus <mark.rauterkus at ...> writes:

> I've got the record for each student as a two words with a space
> between. That then becomes the "card name." (example, Roberto
> Clemente).

> ...Should I do something else

Yes.

It's bad database design to have real data used as an index. What if you happen
to end up over time with two students named "Roberto Clemente"? What if someone
makes a mistake in spelling when creating the card in the first place and then
later on you have to correct not just the card but all the files you just
created based on the card name?

If you're going to use cards as a database (not a bad idea until you get too
many to deal with in a realistic time frame), and you want to index by card
name, then consider giving each new student a unique ID and naming the card by
that ID. Then have one card with the list of IDs/student names, and you can look
them up that way.

Personally, I would use a database for this type of application, but...

--
 Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net