LiveCodeOnline [Was: Re: Rev Online]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 20 10:49:41 EDT 2012

Richmond wrote:

 > Mark Wieder wrote:
 >> (notice that I succeeded in not mentioning web deployment, on-rev,
 >> RevMedia, DreamCard, etc by name)
 >
 > That list does seem a bit long.

Not so much when you look at the details:

RevMedia and DreamCard were just different names for the same
experiment, an effort to answer the question of whether it could be
profitable to give away a loss-leader on the low-end to drive higher-end
sales.  After a couple of years it became clear that it wasn't, so the
low-end product is now the Personal edition, and carries a license fee.

AFAIK RevWeb isn't dead per se, but hampered by some browsers'
requirement to have plugins running in 64-bit mode.  The team has
expressed an interest in making a 64-bit version of the engine, but
given the product's long history and complex code base it's not going to
happen immediately.  Whether the world will still find a browser plugin
an acceptable solution by the time the engine migrates to include a
64-bit version is anyone's guess, but in the meantime net-savvy
standalones are a great alternative (arguably better in many respects),
perfectly suitable for every rational organization in a position to use
RevWeb.

On-Rev is still in business as a shared hosting alternative with
RevServer preinstalled, and RevServer itself is kinda nifty and also
remains available, currently at v5.0.1 (understandable that it's not
using 5.5 since most of the additions are for the field object and
mobile, neither of which is particularly useful on a server).

 > I wonder if those are not failures so much as good ideas that
 > were not maintained because people became so enthusiastic about
 > putting all their effort towards the next thing that they lost
 > track of the fact that once you start something (remember the
 > vast bally-hoo about Free RevMedia?) you need to maintain it.

Like HyperCard, where the last official public statement about it was
from Steve Jobs at CAUSE '98 where he said that rumors of its demise
were "bullsh*t"?  ;)

The free RevMedia was EOL'd, as companies do with products from time to
time, hardware, software, cars, clothes, and everything else.  At this
time that's the only item on that list that's been EOL'd.

You keep bringing RevMedia up here (four times this month?), but all the
while Python and Quickly remain free, open, and widely available.

While the number of free software packages is growing radically, no
creator of any work is required to give their work away for free.

When software is given away it's a gift, and if the creator of the
software finds that they can't afford to keep giving it away that's
their call to make.

Would it have been better to have never tried a free product like
RevMedia?  Given the fallout here, arguably "yes", but then folks would
be arguing that "you'll never know if you don't try!" :)

Kevin runs his company, and I run mine.  I don't presume to know what's
best for RunRev Ltd., and he doesn't attempt to run Fourth World
Systems.  I think all of our respective customers like it this way.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems