Where do you save preferences?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 03:13:16 EDT 2012

On 19/06/12 09:45, Peter Haworth wrote:

Personally I would save any preferences from a Macintosh standalone inside
the application bundle:

1. If you do an OS upgrade and Apple "play silly bu**ers" with how they
manage preferences
     your preferences don't get lost track of.

2. If, like me, you have a Mac at home and a Mac at work, you can take
your standalone
     on a flash drive, between machines with preferences going along for
the ride.

   (Admittedly, between my macMini PPC and my G3 iMac, both running Mac
OS 10.4 I cannot
    exactly be described as "up to date" with the latest foibles of the
Mac OS.)

If Apple have got to the stage where they are enforcing a policy of
where one has
to store preferences so rigidly that you have no choice that's another
thing,
and it should result in vast protests from the world wide Mac developer
community,
but probably won't as most of them are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3LLK7dczA

letting the "great powers" steamroller them into compliance.