jumping among Mainstack and substacks isn't easy

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:12:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

My database for camper kids is progressing, but some newbie head
scratching is in full force.

Cards in a mainstack keep contact info and attendance details, one
card per person. This seems to be working fine, except when I jump to
different substacks. Then an error occurs. Case in point: I am
building a "FIND" sub-stack, with one card. But I want to make a list
of all the cards in the stack and take to the other stack and load it
into a custom property in a field. Got it working, sorta.

But on the way between stacks, I get weird errors. This is one.

on openCard
   get field boy
   if it = 1 then set the hilite of button male to true else set the
hilight of button male to false
end openCard

Debugger says: Stack "Kids": execution error at line 3 (Chunk: no such
object) near "boy", char 4

Perhaps I should do on preOpenCard?

= =
Q2: I could not figure out how to call a custom property of a field of
the mainstack while working in a substack. So, my workaround was to
make a hidden field in the substack that also had the same field
custom property. I set it once and then went to the other stack and
set it again.

on mouseUp
   put "" into index1
   get the number of cards in this stack
   put it into tRepeats
   Repeat for tRepeats
      global index1
      go to next card
      put (the short name of this card) & return after index1
   end repeat
   -- Generates first name sorting
   sort index1
   set the cNewmanList2 of field NewmanResults to index1

   Open Stack Quickie_Finder
   set the cNewmanList2 of field NewmanResults to index1
end mouseUp

Notice above that the last line is called twice, once for each stack.

The debugger error in Q1 also comes when this scrip is called. It is a
button to go to a FIND substack of one card.

Thanks for any clarification.

--
Ta.

Mark Rauterkus       Mark.Rauterkus at gmail.com
PPS Summer Dreamers' Swim and Water Polo Camp Head Coach with
Neighborhood Learning Alliance

http://NeighborhoodLearning.org