Unable to install livecode on Linux, why?

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Sat Jun 16 12:51:55 EDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 09:57 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 02:19 AM, Peter Alcibiades wrote:
>> I am probably doing something silly, but can anyone help with why this
>> should be happening?
>>
>> I hosed my Debian installation (don't ask!). So not having done a new
>> install for many years and several new computers, I decided the thing
>> to do was start from scratch again. Its not a big deal, you just wipe
>> your root partition and reinstall, then after you've laboriously
>> installed all the apps again, and its amazing how many there were, all
>> the menus and all the data files link up perfectly.
>>
>> So, this leaves LiveCode. Download the installer using firefox. Open
>> terminal. cd to Download. ls shows its there. Try to run it, and it
>> says file does not exist. OK, lets confirm its there and being invoked
>> beyond any doubt. So I create a directory livecode and move the
>> installer to it. It moves fine. Now we try to run it. Doing it like
>> this there can't be any silly spelling mistakes.
>>

>> ~/livecode$ ls
>> LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86
>> :~/livecode$ ./L*
>> bash: ./LiveCodeInstaller-4_5_3-Linux.x86: No such file or directory
>>
>> same thing happens if I become root. Its not because its an archive,
>> either. Try to open it with archive manager from thunar file manager
>> and the same thing happens. Its not the file manager, do it from gnome
>> commander, same thing (well, that just invokes a terminal so its not
>> surprising).
>>
>> Any suggestions? Its probably something completely stupid, but what?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Peter is your Linux install 64 bit? I just installed Mint 13 in 64 bit
> (in VirtualBox) and get this same message. Furthermore, lld says it's
> not a linked executable, and says the same thing about Livecode itself
> after I copied over a working installation from another machine. I
> checked my Mint 9 32 bit insatll and it works. I then installed Mint 13
> 32 bit and it works fine as well. 64 bit Mint now ships with 32 bit libs
> preinstalled but it may be that some additional libs are necessary to
> get Livecode working. If I read the Mint docs correctly not everything
> that used to be installed with ia32libs is included. Could you be having
> this kind of issue?
>
> Good luck,
>
> Warren

Adding some 32 bit libs in the software center in Mint 13 has helped.
This is clearly the problem. Livecode is not working with the new
multiarch system implemented in Mint 13. ldd now gives me this:

warren at mint-13-64 ~ $ ldd
'/home/warren/Downloads/LiveCodeInstaller-4_6_4-Linux.x86'
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7740000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7725000)
	libX11.so.6 => not found
	libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf76fa000)
	libXext.so.6 => not found
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf76df000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf753c000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7741000)

I'm not sure what the best route to the missing X libs is. They aren't
available in the software center as far as I can tell.

I had no trouble in the past getting Livecode to work in 64 bit Mint 10,
and openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1 just by installing the basic 32 bit
compatibility libs. It would be a big blow to usability if Livecode does
not work as expected as distros adopt a new architecture for 32 bit
compatibility. It will affect all standalones, as well.

Warren