Seeking a navigation system among 200 individual / card DB for attendance at camp

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Jun 13 22:18:33 EDT 2012

Aloha, Mark:

I've been writing "baby talk" code for 30 years and have lots of
database stacks with cards. some in the 3,000+ range of cards and they
work very well. My code is very simple and I'm sure there are more
sophisticated ways to do things but this works.

I do both table of contents substacks.  as well are "index" substacks
where the lines are clickable back to the matching card in the main stack.

example button on the main stack (background group for all cards, or you
can put it in a menu. in this case I have a lot of check boxes and I
want to see that in the report for this stack which tracks details on
publications where we outsource work to India and we also have in-house
tasks to deal with.

# this is in a button on all cards named "Index"

On mousedown
    openindex
end mouseDown

# in the stack script

command openIndex

    set the defaultstack to   "Publications Tracker"

    put  "Title" & tab & "Pr" & tab & "Status" & tab & "Notes" & tab &
"Issues" & tab & \
          "Data" & tab & "Cvr" & tab & "Atrtx" & tab & "ePub" & tab &
"PDF" into tHeader

    repeat with x = 1 to the number of cards

       put fld  "Title"  of card x & tab &  fld  "Priority"  of card x &
tab & fld  "Status"  of card x & tab after jai
       if fld "Production Notes" of card x <> empty then
          put  "√" & tab after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if
       if fld "issues" of card x <> empty then
          put  "√" & tab after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if
       if the hilite of btn "Data Entered" of cd x then
          put "√" & tab after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if
       if the hilite of btn "Cover Uploaded" of cd x then
          put "√" & tab after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if
       if the hilite of btn "Packaged for Atritex" of cd x then
          put "√" & tab after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if
       if the hilite of btn "ePub Online" of cd x then
          put "√" & tab after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if
       if the hilite of btn "PDF Online" of cd x then
          put "√" after jai
       else
          put tab after jai
       end if

       put cr after jai

       set the itemdel to tab
       sort lines of jai by item 2 of each

    end repeat
    set the defaultstack to   "Publications_Index"  # a substack
    put the number of lines of jai into fld "count"
    put tHeader into fld "index-header"
    put jai into fld "index"
    set the tabstops of fld "index-header" to the tabstops of fld "index"
    set the width of  fld "index-header" to the width of fld "index"
    toplevel stack "Publications_Index" #  i don't want a palette in
this case...

end openIndex

# the Publication_Index stack has card 1 all set up with a header field
and an index field, set with tab stops and vertical grid line.

The field is locked and has this script.

--> all handlers

on mouseUp
     set the itemdel to tab
     put item 1 of  the clicktext into tMedia # title of the publication
     set the defaultstack to  "Publications Tracker"
     toplevel  "Publications Tracker"
     find string tMedia in fld "Title"
end mouseup

Some day I will get mySQL set up on our internal server here, but then I
can never justify the overhead and work involved with this is just too
easy.....

Other models follow the named card concept and "go to card such and
such" is very fast...

I could have named the cards is this publications tracker but why
bother, find works... and since the index is dynamically generated
runtime, it is always uptodate.

Brahma... (was Sivakatirswami... I've been away from these lists a long
time.. working in revIgniter/LiveCode Server...)