English language learners and LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 10:56:32 EDT 2012

Hi Richmond,

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote

> On 06/12/2012 11:31 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>> Richmond, in this mail list, you and Nicolas Cueto
>> are English teachers.
>>
>> If you want to test the premise that learning
>> LiveCode could help you students in their
>> process of learning the english language,
>> What kind of specific tasks would you
>> assign to them, to prove or disprove
>> this hypothesis? :-)
>
> I don't think learning Livecode could help students in their
> process of learning the English language in any way beyond
> the way performing anything in the target language assists
> vocabulary development.

Well, the correct answer is:

You could use LiveCode in your English classes
to teach your students to create Interactive
Stories... Just use the simplest commands and structure:
Go Card, Ask, Answer, Show, Hide, Play, Move, If then Else...

Did I left anything out?
I believe that these very few constructs allows your students
to create an Interactive narration as elaborate as this:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9882

The advantage is that your students are polishing their
language skills while, at the same time, are using many
other skills (like logical and sequential thinking) to make this Interactive
Narration.

Logical thinking:
http://www.audiblox2000.com/logical-thinking.htm
Sequential Thinking:
http://blog.brainpathways.net/2011/03/30/strengthen-your-sequential-thinking-skills-for-life-success/

Think about it as a "Portafolio Project" for your students,
instead of a written assignment of 2 pages...

Could you, at least, give it a try to this idea with
your current English students??? :-)

Al