replaceText

Igor de Oliveira Couto igor at superstudent.net
Wed Jun 13 05:34:42 EDT 2012

Hmm, let me see if I understand you correctly:

On 13/06/2012, at 7:19 PM, Richmond wrote:

> put fld "TEXXT" into TEXXT
>  if TEXXT contains "sugar" then
>    replaceText ("sugar","sugar","sweetener")
> end if
> put TEXXT into fld "TEXXT"
>
> doesn't work.

So, in this example, are you trying to replace the word "sugar" with the word "sweetener" inside field "TEXXT"?

If that is the case, I believe you should be able to do it with a single line:

  replace "sugar" with "sweetener" in field "TEXXT"

In any case, the dictionary states, that the 'replaceText' function RETURNS the changed string - so my guess is that you have to 'put' the returned value somewhere, like this:

put field "TEXXT" into TEXXT
put TEXXT into newTEXXT
if TEXXT contains "sugar" then put replaceText(TEXXT, "sugar", "sweetener") into newTEXXT
put newTEXXT into field "TEXXT"

That should work, but it will be a lot more convoluted - and slower - than doing the single-line 'replace'!

I hope this helps!

--
Igor Couto
Sydney, Australia