English language learners and LiveCode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:42:32 EDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 11:36 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Actually, RunRev should specifiy which Linux versions they
>>> support. It's impossible to support every Linux distribution
>>> available... [Where is LiveCode for Puppy Linux?] ;-)
>>>
>>> Al
>>
>> If RunRev do not support Ubuntu they are probably excluding a very large
>> number of current and potential clients using Linux.
>
> System requirements for each platform are noted here, under the
> section "Platforms Supported":
> <http://www.runrev.com/products/livecode/features-table/>
>
> For Linux:
>
>    Create native executables for 32-bit installation, or a
>    64-bit Linux distribution that has a 32-bit compatibility
>    layer, 2.4.x or later kernel, X11R5 or later, glibc 2.3.2
>    or later, gtk/gdk/glib (optional – required for native
>    theme support), pango/xft (optional – required for pdf
>    printing, anti-aliased text and unicode font support),
>    lcms (optional – required for color profile support in
>    JPEGs and PNGs), gksu (optional – required for elevate
>    process support)
>
> In my experience, aside from the IDE bug with the Dictionary it seems
> to run very well on Ubuntu.
>
> In fact, I recently noticed that in v5.5 they now use the native theme
> color for list selection hilites (thanks Mr. Waddingham!).

I am sure Mr Waddingham is not to blame for the fact that 5.5. would not
run on my machine.

I am sure that Linux is a beast with many heads, and , unlike the
monolithic Mac OS and Windows OS,
each individual installation has its foibles.

My Xubuntu install has XFCE 4.10 sitting on it; what I haven't done is
tried to run 5.5. with a different windows manager.

I would be daft in the extreme if I thought RunRev had the time, money
and so on, to test Livecode for Linux on even 10% of all possible Linux
installs.

One thing that was mentioned once, and died a death, was to issue a
Linux distro based on one of the majors (Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian and so
on) with a working, functioning Livecode pre-installed.