English language learners and LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:34:21 EDT 2012

Hi Richmond,

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote

> I have repeatedly raised the possibility of either a feature-reduced
> version of Livecode or a re-release of an earlier version of Livecode
> (say 2.0) at an  extremely cheap rate if not free.
>
> This has been ignored.
>
> Free RevMedia, as we are surely all well aware, lasted a very short
> while........

I am sure that RunRev have their reasons to not repeat this
unique offer. My first though is that "free software" is not
free for the company that give it away...

Surely, supporting free users cost more (a lot more) than
supporting paid users...

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote

> What RunRev should be well aware of by now is that the teachers are not
> wealthy, but
> educational authorities and private educational institutions often are.
>
> However, the way to influence the groups with the money is,
> by-and-large, through teachers.
>
> Therefore, were  either of the possibilities I mentioned above
> available, teacher might try them out and, realising the
> "good within" bring pressure to bear on educational powers.

Richmond, my personal experience is that Teachers want to learn
but their efforts are conveniently ignored by their supervisors...
unless that they start using software "approved and recommended"
by the Powers that Be.

A really Sad State of Affairs, IMHO...

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote

> Educational pricing for Livecode is really comparatively reasonable:
> http://www.runrev.com/education/pricing.html
>
> I especially like "with additional seats at $25 each"
>
> Preumably teachers are not allowed to buy themselves individual copies
> for $25.
>
> what I do not see are attractive enough 'hooks' to get the
> educationalists in there in the first place.

Well, Have they tried with English Language Schools in
different countries??? My educated guess is "NO"...
But RunRev have to convince these language schools that
LiveCode would contribute positively to learning the English
language.

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote

> The argument will be that a would-be buyer can download a trial version.
>
> On this note, I downloaded a Linux trial version of LC 5.5.0, but it
> would not accept my password.
>
> I contacted Heather and got this reply:
>
> "Thank you for your request.
>
> I have activated a trial for you, this time. However,
> I need to point out that this is the second time I've
> activated a trial for you, and LiveCode is not free
> software. At some point, you are going to need to
> give us some money if you want to continue using it.
> I am limited in the number of free trials I can activate
> for you."
>
> and this seems rather odd, as, surely, "Free Trials"
> are free trials; and as nothing terribly productive
> can be done with them such as spinning off standalone,
> it doesn't make sense.
>
> Let's suppose that I am wondering about buying
> 10 LC versions at educational pricing for teaching
> programming - the fact that I have been using
> RR 4.0 and RR4.5 for donkey's ages without buying
> further upgrades shouldn't enter into whether I have
> access to a Trial.
>
> Unfortunately I have to report that, having been allowed
> 30 day Trial of Livecode 5.5.0, and downloading it to my
> machine running Xubuntu 12.04 it would not work beyond
> a "setting defaults" page.
>
> I had to 'kill' the IDE twice using the 'Task Manager'.

Actually, RunRev should specifiy which Linux versions they
support. It's impossible to support every Linux distribution
available... [Where is LiveCode for Puppy Linux?] ;-)

Al