iOS - indicating 'delete' in a list

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Jun 12 12:44:11 EDT 2012

I'm showing a list of items - in effect an index - in an iOS app. Up to now, when you touch a line, the app moves on to a more detailed display for that particular entry: several cards (screens) are associated with each line. I now want to introduce the idea of deleting one of the items in the list, again by some kind of touch action, hopefully preserving the idea of a short touch to take the user to the detailed info. I've thought of reacting to a long touch on the line or maybe on a dragging action to the left or right, or maybe having an 'action' box at the edge of the line and letting the user touch that. Looking at other apps, i am not sure if there's a preferred way to do this, although there are several where some user action makes a 'delete' button appear on the same line as the list entry. Is anyone else willing to say how they tackled this?

TIA

Graham