Crashing documentation on Linux #2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 11 13:44:09 EDT 2012

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > ...because of the nature of Linux, it really is up to the end
 > user to sort out the problems they are having with a particular
 > configuration on a particular machine, because realistically,
 > they are the only person with access to it. This is the "price"
 > you pay (or should I say the price you *don't* pay or the price
 > you pay for not paying) when you choose Linux.

That's where Ubuntu comes in.

I didn't choose Ubuntu - the market chose it for me.  I waited until
there was one unquestionable leader among the various distros, and today
Ubuntu by itself holds more than 30% of all desktop Linux installs.

Devs who target Ubuntu should find that Mint works well too, which is
the second most popular distro.

And with those comes compatibility with Debian, also among the distro
leaders.

There are many good reasons to spend time with the Red Hat/Fedora family
as well, but if a dev has just one test machine to test on and is making
more consumer-oriented apps than enterprise apps, Ubuntu is a clear choice.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World