Hypercard: the missing link to the web

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 1 03:40:35 EDT 2012

You're not taking account of the Open Source movement.  Were I starting again
at this point, the choice would be Python.  Genuinely free in every way, and
not just as in beer.  There is actually an impulse in many of us, which
neither Friedman, Thatcher nor Marx were able to admit, to contribute to the
common good.   There is a price for free software of the Open Source kind,
that is correct.  The price is considering oneself as a member of a
community, not simply as a consumer.  But for many of us it is a price we
are happy to pay, and at this point we are not participating in a social
experiment.  Its not an experiment, its a well established alternative.

Think about Android....

The problem with Hypercard, and what led to its demise, was fundamentally
that it was not free.  It was the same thing that led to the crazed
ambitions and failure of e-world, the desire to have a closed ecosystem
totally controlled by Apple.  If they had turned Hypercard loose to open
source, it would have become multiplatform at once, and would be thriving
today.  The thing that killed it was a dog in the manger approach to things.

Peter

slylabs13 wrote