LiveCode iOS Externals & rreNarrator

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Tue Jul 31 08:26:10 EDT 2012

Brian,

First off, welcome to the list group. After hypercard I dabbled with Flex for a bit when it first came out and then came back to RunRev after a stint with Frontier Runtime and a few years with SuperCard. I must say that all of my experiences have led me to appreciating what RunRev is and where it is headed.

I'd like to address your number 2 issue. The rreNarrator is only provided as a working example of how to integrate an xCode project as a LiveCode External. The video example is on 'How to make your own external' and is not 'How to include this already built external example project into your project.' I have however used it in a couple of projects so far. I had already converted the original flite library to work on the iPhone in xCode a couple of years ago and it was in my first Obj C app which did very well on the iPad. My biggest problem with the external/library is that the voices are awful. I got so many complaints about the quality of the voices and my only answer was "Well, it is free!"

That said, the only thing needed to integrate that external in with a LiveCode project is to include the binaries that are already built by selecting the binaries folder in the copy files pane in the Standalone Application Settings window and then call the handlers in the external from within your LC script. There is an example LiveCode project in with the rreNarrator folder that has example scripts and can/will run on the iPhone/iPad. The way it works is that once you have a text field with text in it you will create a blank audio file to hold the converted text to audio into and then play that back.

One more thing, I don't remember if the external works in the simulator, you may have to test it on the device if you aren't getting any sounds from the simulator.

Let us know if that works using the included example.

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgrath at comcast.net