Storing data on iOS

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 26 10:21:18 EDT 2012

FlexibleLearning wrote:

> For those who have gone before those who have gone before...
>
> What sort of files does Apple allow to be downloaded? 'text' only files?
> Defined by type of file (video, pdf etc)? Is there such a list?
>
> I think I have established that 'executable' files will be rejected (i.e.
> stack files) which is a real pain because I have a desktop app that would
> ideally launch stack files from a home page index of modules. If this is the
> case, what about a 'definition text file' that the app use to create the
> stack on demand?

There has been much confusion on this list over the file formats Apple
may or may not be requiring.

Some have suggested that for the Mac app store developers are no longer
allowed to define their own formats, now required to read and write
their prefs data exclusively through Apple's APIs.

How far this goes, or whether any of these suggestions are actually the
case, remains to be confirmed by Apple.

Personally, I would find it hard to believe that Apple would impose such
Draconian limitations without the developer community in a bigger uproar
than they were over the iOS SDK 4.0 terms.  And reading several Mac news
sites daily, I'm not seeing that.

My understanding is that if you download a file that contains scripts,
such as a stack file, it would be clearly verboten.   But if you use a
stack file as a container of data, such as with custom props, it would
logically be no different from any other binary file format and should
be allowed.

If anyone has any truly definitive word from Apple on this to the
contrary I would be grateful for the URL.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World