finding the name of the target's stack in a script

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Jul 24 12:07:15 EDT 2012

word 8 of the long id is not reckless, it's just not going to work every time, because of substacks, and such. for example this is a valid long id for a stack:
stack "/Drive/Folder/Stack. rev"
and this too, if it's an unsaved substack:
stack "Untitled 2" of stack "Untitled 1"

There's also "the owner" which does what you want... as long as you never use any groups :)

Incidentally, can't you set the stack to a parameter in the button? that's what i'd do:

on mouseUp
  put the name of this stack into myCurrentStack
  doThing myCurrentStack
end mouseUp