Old timey data entry GUI problem

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Jul 22 13:47:28 EDT 2012

I really like your idea of using the numpad + to switch between fields. That frees the other hand for handling the paperwork. A great speedup!

To avoid lag slowing down entry, I can do all checking and db-to-entry comparisions asynchronous. They're done via sockets anyway.

As for proof checking as a second persons job, we'd need two or three people for every one person entering stuff. Printouts would be too slow, but because there's a networked database solution existing already, proof reading could be done on another computer.

I was thinking more about how to avoid false entries to begin with. Some stuff can be checked while entering via the DB, but other stuff just can't, unless all four players from a table have been entered. That is why I was thinking about forcing the person who enters stuff to also recheck it in a dialog... but that is probably just not speedy enough.

I wanted to show a kind of fake table on the screen, showcasing what each of the four players have entered, making a noise or red error message when stuff does not match up. Now that I think about it, that also ensures errors will have a very high probability of being found and fixed if they where entered wrongly for the first player. So most likely no one actually has to manually double check entries, and everyone can just type away as fast as possible.

--

Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/

Chat with other RunRev developers: