The future of LiveCode

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jul 20 14:07:42 EDT 2012

I had been working with Foxpro for several years, and was astonished whenever I found a new command I didn't know about. But when I looked it up in the reference manual (that is all we had back then, no internet to make life simple for us) there it was plain as day.

If we wanted to do something but didn't know the command name for it, we would have to read through a list of all the commands and functions to see if there was one that *might* do the trick. The trouble was, commands and functions were not very well named. For instance, there was a RAT() function that returned the character position of a character in a string - in the reverse order, end to beginning. The inverse was AT().

Makes perfect sense eh? I don't have a lot of pity for these young whippersnappers complaining about how hard it is to find things these days, daggumit!

Bob