multiple card alignment tool

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Jul 19 17:23:06 EDT 2012

In some cases this issue can be designed around but not all. For example a multi card UI with different forms on each card but you want all the left margins of the fields to align. If this is a non-resizable stack then it's just a layout issue.

> Ok, let's assume the controls are unique on each card.

How about 'could be unique' to handle all cases.

> First, we need an
> object that is common on all cards, so we create a box and group it
> (include a cross-hair at the center of you like). Name the group
> "grpMyAlignmentObject", then place the group on each card.  Simply move it,
> and it moves on each card.  Go to each card and use the normal alignment
> pallet.  Take care to turn off 'select grouped controls' or your alignment
> group will also get altered.

Hmm.. I'm not sure adding an object onto the stack would be ideal.

Really it's an object selection problem. What would be cool is an object selection mode that would drill through all stacks and pull up a list of objects and which card they were on. From there you could Deselect controls. Reorder them. Set all heights and widths the same based on a chosen one etc.

Actually, come to think of it you could just list all controls for each card and allow the user to do multiple selection then some alignment.

Cheers

Monte