validating "per use" licensing

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 16:10:21 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
> Try ZygoDact, it already does all this for you. www.hyperactivesoftware.com

it's at hyperactivesw.com.  There is no server at hyperactivesoftware.com . . .

Thanks.

But that does seem like overkill as an approach . . .

At the server, logged into their account (actually, probably from
within the application), they enter last name and social of their
client, then pay.  A simple function f(serial_number, lastname,ss4)
produces a key.  This is stored at client end.  At the client end,
when trying to open the file for use, it runs f().  If that output is
among the keys stored locally, the program is willing to continue and
open the file,

This seems to be a job for a function, not two extra stacks.  Also,
given a future cloud transition, I need to not be relying on a black
box.  (For that matter, it's still not clear that I don't need to
transition to something more stable than livecode within the next
couple of years--if the standalones aren't a couple of orders of
magnitude more stable than the IDE, I really won't have a choice).

--
The Hawkins Law Firm
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
HawkinsLawFirm at gmail.com