Raspberry PI

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Mon Jul 9 12:25:09 EDT 2012

Hrm...communication would seem to be a given already, isn't it? Can't
LiveCode access RS-232 serial (real or emulated over USB) already?

The reason I'm excited about this kind of thing?  Friday my daughter
came home from school for the summer with a set of DVD's with the
software she had been using at school.  For each of these DVD's, her
school must have paid some amount of money.  (Let's say £20 for the sake
of it).

That presumes lots of things (we have a windows PC, it is powerful
enough, there's space available on the machines, and the nous to be able
to install it), not to mention suggesting tech support from school.

If any of those assumptions is wrong, it's money lost.

Purely as a hypothetical, let's say that there's an educational version
of LiveCode running on the RPI, that supports a limited number of
stacks/restricted functionality (no standalones?), etc, installed on
RPI's at school that the kids are familiar with using already. (Of
course, the stacks created with the ed version would have to be
compatible with and expandable if they bought the full LiveCode IDE).

There were 30 kids in my daughter's year.  So, instead of £600, all the
kids in that year could conceivably bring home the whole computer and
the software stack for, say, £1500.  That would mean:
1) the school *knows* the software will work on the RPI, as it has been
all year.
2) the kids are familiar with it, and can show off all their work to
their parents.
3) It would seed LiveCode out there so that there /would/ be people who
had seen or used it before.
4) runrev would see, I don't know...£300 or so (up to 10x that for a big
school). Now multiply that by hundreds of schools?
5) benefits of scale allow the price of LiveCode to come down.

So, not hugely profitable, but gets that foot in the door. Seems if you
can get a leg into the LEA for these schools, it'd be a no-brainer, and
would be self-funding.

Heck, I'd kick into a kickstarter project just to see it demoed.

My kids' school is talking about getting iPads for all the kids. Now
*that* I find distressing, as it is simply indoctrinating them into the
"Apple *is* God, just shut-up-and-consume, don't program" mentality.

I already have to tell them 'no' when we walk by a sweets display at the
grocer's.  Now I'm going to have to convince the little darlings that
no, I cannot give them "just another" £1.99 for Angry Birds Space.

If they had their own RPI's, I could turn to them and say, with a
straight face, "Why don't you *make* it yourself?"

Now, you get kids programming on the RPI, with the GPIO ports out for
all to see, and I'd expect that a large percentage will want to play
with that connector bit as well, coming into the Maker gestalt through
the back door.

Though I personally, understand the draw of LiveCode being at a
MakerFaire, I just don't see the business case for it.  Someone who paid
£25 for a computer isn't going to spend hundreds on a full-blown
IDE...and I can't see a way to sell to all RPI owners.  There's just no
margin left on the darned things.

Again, I'm not Kevin, but I can't see the MakerFaire crowd paying his
employee's salaries.

-Ken