Looking for help with Standalone on Win 7

Paul Hibbert lc at pbh.on-rev.com
Sat Jul 7 17:27:29 EDT 2012

Having worked extensively on Macs for the last 24 years I've never really spent too much time getting to know Windows in depth although I've usually managed to fumble my way round most issues when the need arose. However, I have recently come up against a problem with a LC standalone on Windows 7 that I really don't understand, I have tried the usual support options but so far have just drawn a blank, so I hope someone on the list may be able to help, I'll try to explain…

I recently released a small bug update to an application built with LiveCode 5.5, I also used Economy-X-Talk's Installer Maker to provide an installer/uninstaller, but one of my clients ran into this issue…

===== Quote: ======

Upon reading your email yesterday in ref to the new v1.0.3 release, I went & installed the update. Prior to doing so I uninstalled the previous version 1.0 via "Control Panel - Uninstall Programs" function. I then installed the update, after it finished installing I got a pop-up window telling me the program may not have installed properly... and gave me a choice of 2 options to select "the program did install properly" & another option which I don't remember exactly what it said...

So I left the pop-up window open & opened the new program to see if it was working. I poked around a-bit with it & everything seemed fine, so I figured it was a fluke and selected "the program did install properly" option.

This morning I went into my "Control Panel - Uninstall Programs" function to uninstall a completely unrelated/different software, and I only has 20 programs showing as being installed out of the 130 installed programs it showed yesterday when I went into uninstall v1.0!

So I did a restore to 06-27-12 and now have all of my 130 installed programs showing again. However I now need to re-install v1.0.3, but after yesterday's episode I'm a-bit apprehensive about uninstalling v1.0.

I'm using win7 Home Premium OS.

I just ran the uninstall 2 more times, and both times immediately after uninstalling I was left with only 20 programs showing as being installed. That said, the problem definitely occurs with the uninstall of v1.0. I say this because this morning I have successfully uninstalled & installed other software. I don't know why this is happening, but I do know I need to find a way to be able to successfully uninstall v1.0 without it  affecting other files on my laptop. Can you please help me resolve this issue?

===== End Quote. =====

I have contacted RunRev and they say the standalone setting for my app are fine, so I doubt that's the issue, I've tried three times to contact Economy-X-Talk's support this week, but so far have had no reply. I do have Win 7 running on Parallels and have not been able to re-create the issue and none of the other 1200+ customers have reported anything similar, so I'm a little stumped with this one and would be extremely grateful if anybody could shed a little light on what may cause this type of uninstall problem, or at least where to start looking for issues.

TIA

Paul