Hello LiveCoder's

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Fri Jul 6 22:17:22 EDT 2012

There are plenty of people here who have moved on from other tools, but I'm different from that. I haven't moved on (well, arguably I've moved on from HyperCard, but LiveCode is a good substitute for that…), the other tools are just taking a break.

In addition to doing some personal things in LiveCode, using it as a production tool for clients, and writing a book on using it for mobile development, I still do full time Flash programming, and I'm involved in the next version of Director. Yes, indeed, it's still moving along! I'm also in on the Unity betas.

For everyone else who doesn't know Skip - he has had a company that specialized in kiosk installations, that were naturally done with Director (overall it has been the best tool for doing kiosks, and what I've used for all of the ones I've done). He also ran a frequent podcast, but we got to a point where there wasn't any new-news on Director to talk about, so that came to an end. BTW, 2/3rd of typical Director kiosks could be done in LiveCode, and the other third in Flash, hence Director not being so prominent for now.

For Skip - you should know, and will quickly realize, that the LiveCode community is more active than some of the Flash and Director communities combined. If you have the slightest thought in your head about LiveCode podcasts, they would be well received. We did have a UStream meeting each week for a few months, but as with any tool there are only so many subjects to cover, and there were just two people organizing the events, and not many others volunteering to manager that. Me and a few others did do demos a few times, though some of mine were about other tools, not just about things I was doing in LiveCode.

Anyway, welcome aboard!