Saving to substacks in standalones

tbodine lvhdgc7 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 13:41:36 EDT 2012

Hi all.

I've been reading recent discussions here about saving substacks in
standalones and have a few followup questions.

Here's the plan: The app is for Mac/Win/iOS and will use a stub
(splashscreen) as the main stack.  I'll put the app logic code in a substack
and use another substack as a template for the user data file. When the user
makes a new project, "save stack as" will clone the template into a writable
location and "save stack" should work after that. If the user chooses to
Open an existing project, the ask command will point to a user docs folder.

Questions:

* Since the App Store requires apps to be a single executable, does LC
bundle these substacks within the standalone so they pass inspection? If so,
then at runtime a simple "save stack as" could clone the bundled substack?
* In the sandbox of iOS, where is a writable area? (I see "the documents
folder" will find it, but is that a general folder or one specific to the
app?)
* I anticipate some users will want to make their file on desktop (for
keyboarding) and transfer the file to iOS. Will iOS allow emailed document
attachments to be saved in a place that apps can use them? (I see iTunes >
Apps has a File Sharing control that seems to enable specified apps a way to
transfer documents.)  Anyone done that with a LC app?
* Any other advice? The app uses a lot of formatted text, so planning to use
the new field features.

Thanks for your answers and advice.

Tom Bodine