Uniquly identifying a stack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jul 1 21:22:55 EDT 2012

Peter Haworth wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> Probelm is I need to maintain uniqueness acorss two versions of the same
> stack file.  For example if both versions have a stack named "myStack" but
> then its name gets changed to "YourStack" in one of the versions, it's no
> longer identifiable as the same stack as "MyStack".
>
> I have some ideas as to how to deal with this but wanted to check if anyone
> had come up with a generic solution to this problem.

In practice, stack names don't change frequently.  People come to rely
on them as unique identifiers, and since the stack name isn't bound to
the visible label there's no real need to, and doing so usually just
requires otherwise-unnecessary code chages.

Just the same, for those who might change their stack names one option
may be to use a custom property with a carefully-design GUID scheme.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World