An iPhone app as a remote control for an iPad app. Is it possible?

Ken Corey ken at kencorey.com
Mon Jan 30 08:58:09 EST 2012

Hi Paolo,

First off, I'd like to say that with the external support, anything is
possible...the question is how hard you're willing to work to get there.

I can say that the socket code "rreSocket" works just fine for me here,
both on the simulator and on the device.

Now, as to "does it work properly?"  It allows you to open a socket to
an external host, and to send data back and forth to that host, and
those functions seem to work fine.

However, there's no protocol support with it.  I wanted to send and
receive http, so I had to write a small http library to do the work I
needed.  No big deal.

It all depends on your level of expertise.  If you're working against an
already-defined protocol (like I was with http), it's a doddle. If the
spec is unclear, or you're uncomfortable with low level communications,
I'd think twice.

With a socket-based infrastructure, you need to think of:
1) a way for the devices to find each other (can rreSocket do a TCP/IP
broadcast?  I don't know.)
2) dealing with proxies

Perhaps you'd be better off writing an external that let you talk to the
bluetooth functionality from within LiveCode.

Without more information from you as to what your goal is we can't help
more.

-Ken