Launcher strategies

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 23 12:03:28 EST 2012

At the SoCal Linux Expo yesterday I ran into fellow LiveCode dev Todd
Cranston-Cuebas, and over lunch we were brainstorming solutions to a
problem he has and one option is something that's near and dear to the
hearts of many xTalkers:  a custom launcher UI.

The idea is to present an alternative to the desktop for computers used
in a specialized setting, so that the only options available are the
ones the UI provides.

Making these sorts of things was a popular hobby among many HyperCard
fans, and it's not hard to do and reasonably useful as a startup app.

But there's a problem with making this sort of kiosk-style launcher:

It's too easy to launch an app and then have it go behind the launcher
if they click on the launcher window.

Ideally there would be some sort of stay-behind window property, sort of
the opposite of a stay-in-front palette, but I know of know way to do that.

Anyone here have an external or other solution for making a stay-in-back
window in Mac, Win and Linux?

Extra bonus points:  what x-plat methods are there for trapping things
like Cmd-Tab to prevent switching out of this sort of kiosk mode?

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World